The St. Luc Foundation is a Haitian organization that offers education, medical care and dignity to more than 1milion people every year through its programs where more than 900 Haitians work. Father Rick Frechette, an American priest and doctor, has founded and directs this Institution working with a group of young Haitian leaders, who, together, have the will to lead their Country towards a new future in which every man can live out of that extreme poverty that takes dignity away. Born in 2001 the programs of Saint Luc provide:
- Education and food for 10.000 students every year;
- Medical care to more than 200.000 people every year;
- work for over 1800 units of permanent staff.
The project will cover all students from 2 to 24 years, divided by category of age and classes and will cover also the teachers and other people who work in ABF schools and in the communities. The program will give the opportunity to provide medical support to the health personnel who will work for ABF and treatment for free to the children in schools as well as to the Community. The program recommends the mobile clinic spending more days in the communities where there is no access to medical care. Every year the mobile clinic working in an area every three months. Each school with its community will benefit of 4 visits annually. The project includes also a seminary about health for prevention and care hygiene as well as a sexual education program for children, adolescents and adults from the Community.
- General counseling of every child to reinforce their capacity and ability of academic improvement.
- Screening of any kind of abuse on children that could affect with psychological aspects their ability to learn.
- Find out all the important pathologies that can affect them and support them properly.
- Prevent with long-term health assistance all kind of infectious diseases in our schools and communities.
- Screening at an early time in our schools of any type of disabilities and diseases like: blindness or visual impairment, mental problems, deafness, sickle cell, epilepsy, malnutrition, asthma, and others.
- Reduce all risks of long-term diseases and mental deficiencies.
- Prevent at an early time the learning disabilities of our students.
- Give better conditions of life to people in the field of education and health.
Beneficiaries of the project
|Number of direct beneficiaries||8,850|
|Number of children involved||2,850|
|Number of persons employed||8|
|Number of Communities||5|
|Number of indirect beneficiaries||16,075|
Health is perhaps to be considered as a treasure, it must sustain us through all our life, and that is why we must, all the time, take care of our body and mind. As we all know health is divided in mental health and body health and they work together. Good health describes a condition where our body and our mind are both working properly. But we have to take care of our body to keep ourselves mentally strong. The main causes behind poor health conditions are: disease, improper diet, injuries, mental stress, lack of hygiene, and unhealthy lifestyle. In every sphere of our life, we have to be able to perform at our best. In short, health and wellness bring about drastic improvements in the overall quality of our life.
Childhood is a very important factor in everybody’s life, because good health at an early stage of life has a positive effect on the productivity of children. Staying healthy is vital for proper growth and development of mind and body. They must have enough energy to spend the whole day at school, this is the main reason why, ABF and St Luke are starting this health project in their schools where it will include the students’ health care insurance.This program that takes place where ABF is operating will allow the people of those communities to have access to medical care not so common in those areas. As our aim is to empower people and communities, we think this program will give them great opportunities. This way they will have a chance to be educated along with their children.
The Andrea Bocelli Foundation supports in the project:
- equipe of 2 Doctors, 3 Nurses and 3 Helpers (auxiliary or workers from health area);
- individual screening for each patient;
- medical equipments and consumables;
- training for personnel;
- seminaries and information materials.